Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I Call It My "Barbara Walters" Instinct

When I'm asleep, my first thought when my phone starts ringing (or buzzing or beeping or breaking into a joyful chorus of "Here Comes the Sun") as cell phones are prone to do is, 'If that's [insert name of time-zone illiterate ex boyfriend here], I'm going to [insert sufficiently grumpy threat that makes no sense and leaves said ex in absolutely no danger of any kind].' My second thought is, 'I hope nobody's dead.' Voicemail notifications are generally not as urgent, and therefore rate much higher on the Annoy-O-Meter. Especially if they're from ex-boyfriends.

This morning, when I was awakened by the Super Mario Brother's theme, I assumed an old voice mail message had finally worked its way through f#$%ing Nextel's f#$%ing labyrinthine network to emerge eight f#$%ing hours too late to do any good. But it was a text message from Carlye. Hmmm...

boyfriend and i are done done...for good this time.

Of course I had to call her to find out the detai offer comfort and a listening ear. Hell, what's a couple hours of sleep when there's a good stor friend with a broken heart involved?

No comments: